Friday, June 29, 2012

SOD: Tesla Boy "Neon Love"

The new wave and synth-pop genres that began in the 70's and came to fruition in the 80's have never really fallen off the map since then, but they're certainly experiencing an explosion in new acts today. Groups like Empire of the Sun caught on quite quickly, and for every popular name in the genre, there's a dozen more unknown ones, and new groups springing up all the time.

All of the music sounds very similar. I don't say this to try and discredit the artists, but I don't even see that much variation between them and their progenitors aside from the fact that the original acts were better. I mean acts like The Cure and Depeche Mode were very fresh when they hit the scene. And they were trying to figure out where all this new keyboard driven sound could go, being that it had become even a possibility only a decade earlier. But since then, there haven't been many strides taken. In many instances the music is a straight regurgitation of itself, and many of the acts today have even  made vocals sparse. This is when it becomes impossible to tell one act from another, as nobody has a distinguishing sound. In my opinion, this is especially not a good thing.

But there's always a contingent of people who will board the train. This music has retained and even grown in popularity, so that has to say something. Personally, I can listen to some of it, and even songs like this one which, are quite generic, has its time and place for me. I often enjoy listening to this stuff when I'm working, or just need some kind of ambient sound to calm and focus me. I know this doesn't say a lot for the music but still, it does serve a purpose and that has to be worth something I suppose.

I think a lot of the issues I have with this music also surround the fact that it does not lend itself to live performances. Sure, a guy can get up there with a laptop and keyboard, but I'm talking about that full band feel, not hitting the space bar or clicking a mouse to do any or all of the work. And that lack of performing something live and real, takes the life right out of the music. It draws no breath, and has no ability to take on a personality all it's own (good or bad), because so much about the piece is predetermined and prerecorded.  However, in fairness to this Russian trio, they do actually play their instruments live, and at times in the past have even employed a guitarist for the road I believe. Check it out if your curious about their live performances: Live at Crystal Hall                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment