Monday, June 25, 2012

SOD: Jimmy Fallon, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Roots "Call Me Maybe"

Yes I know, we all want to hang ourselves when we hear this song. And I've tried for a long time to hate Jimmy Fallon. I even met him in an elevator once at Sound One when The Weinstein Company was doing the animated feature "Doogal." I believe he was the voice of the "Dylan the Rabbit." Coincidence? Fuck yea. And do yourself a favor, stay away from that movie.

And when Jimmy's late night show came on air, I berated and lambasted it with all my friends, very typically. I just didn't think the guy was that funny, except in the occasional Mick Jagger SNL skit. It wasn't "cool" to like Jimmy Fallon. Why should that pretentious ass get his own late night show. Who the hell would even watch him! But then again, he had The Roots as a house band. Seriously? Are you fucking kidding me? And I thought it wouldn't last, did anyone? But it did. And I'd tune in from time to time because the musical numbers and interludes throughout the show were fun. I'd just pop in from time to time. But as I watched, somewhere along the line Jimmy Fallon became a little less of a douche, and a little more endearing. "Wait a doggone second here," I said to myself. Was I actually warming up to Jimmy "That Fuck" Fallon? Impossible.

Well, not impossible. Unlikely, yes. Then again so is a Tsunami and look at what happened there. And I'll still tune in from time to time if I flip past it, but I find myself enjoying his bits a little more, and heck, he's still got the Roots. Who by the way are great in this video.

At first I thought, "really, do they have to play the whole song?" But that actually gave me time to focus on each of the players. First off, I now know what Questlove (far left) looks like when he holds a penis. I fully blame this flub on him, it was a poor choice in instruments. I expected more from him. And you definitely have to watch this video twice. On the second pass, focus all your attention on "Frank Knuckles" on the bongos (back left). With that smile he belongs on a Jamaican Department of Tourism commercial. Was that racist? It wasn't intended to be. Tuba Gooding Jr. on the kazoo and recorder wins the contest for best name, but Black Thought (back center on tambourine), wins the "coolest cat" award. Black Thought is the lyricist for The Roots, and the fucking guy makes everything look good. From playing the tambourine, to fedoras, to breathing. He just does everything a little cooler than the next guy.

And this video isn't anything special, but on a Monday after a hell of a weekend, I need mindless enjoyment in the few moments I get to surf the web. This did the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment