Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Christopher Park (Pt. 2)

Heading downtown again this morning, I passed my favorite "gallery of strange," Christopher Park. This time it wasn't filled with the usual fare of degenerate or delusional humans, the people actually looked somewhat normal. Somewhat.

First off, I got to start my day with a laugh which is always preferred to tears. As my cab approached the park and was stopped before the intersection, a strange scene unfolded. There were two white tourists (probably Germans), taking pictures of the ugly white humanoid statues. But pointing and kind of snickering at them was an Asian couple. I'm sorry for making this a racial thing, but I just can't help myself. There's something wrong with this picture. Shouldn't the Aryan race be laughing at the Asians for snapping shots? After all, everyone knows Asians take way too many pictures of everything. This has been going on since the dawn of my time. So I wonder, is this a sign of the Times 'A Changin', or simply a brief anomaly in a city full of them? Maybe the irony of that scene doesn't tickle you like it tickles me. Or maybe you just think I'm racist now.

But also in the park on this lovely morning was a kid and his dog. Just a couple of pals, chumming it up. The kid was no more than 16, the mutt probably the same age in dog years. He had the dog on one of those retractable leashes, and at first it was pretty much completely wound up. The dog was itching to get some space, and when the kid finally let the leash go slack, the dog sprung into action, lunging at a pair of pigeons that were picking at the ground. The birds narrowly escaped, and judging by the smirk on the boys face, and the dogs wagging tail, both were sufficiently amused. The boy then wound up the leash again, assumedly preparing for round two.

And then the light turned green, and we were off again. Another brisk moment at Christopher Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment