Wednesday, June 20, 2012

SOD: Blitzen Trapper "Furr"

This Portland based country/folk band was introduced to me by a friend after I sent him a Band Of Heathens song called LA County Blues (it's about Hunter S. Thompson, I mean how awesome is that). "Furr" was the song he sent me, and after that I started digging a little deeper, intrigued by what I'd heard. Turns out, these guys have been around since 2000. Of the five man lineup, Eric Earley (guitar/harmonica/vocals/keyboard) seems to be the band leader, and writer of most of their original material. And though their sound is somewhat par for the course as far as indy folk/rock goes these days, there is a quality to these guys that makes them worth the time. The lyrics are well crafted, the music is accessible and offers a simple kind of enjoyment, making them a great band for those lazy summer days at the beach, or on the deck.

They've got six full length albums to date, but Furr is my favorite. It's rife with imagery and quality storytelling. Songs like "Black River Killer," and "Gold for Bread" have made it onto many of my playlists. And the song "Furr" is no slouch either. It was the first track I heard by them, and the song that turned me onto the band. Sometimes all it takes is one good song, and there's nothing like a first impression.


No comments:

Post a Comment