Tuesday, June 26, 2012

SOD: Nina Simone "To Love Somebody"

She has such a unique voice. It's certainly powerful and soulful, and tenor low. It's so definable, and never mistaken. "Sinnerman" was an early track I heard that sold me, but I never really got in too deep. A couple years ago I bought her album To Love Somebody, and was pleasantly surprised by her ability to do covers. Like the later Baltimore which I also enjoy, her song choices are eclectic, and her styles varied. It's a fun little departure from the music I usually listen to, and unless you listen to Nina Simone on the reg, I'd guess you'd feel the same.

Nina Simone has been a soul icon for a long time, but she's far more than that. She's a classically trained pianist, and a master and incorporator of many styles not limited to the gospel, blues, jazz, folk, and even counterpoint. Her songs have incredible depth, and can dance between large, orchestral sounds, and simple silences. It's no wonder she has influenced so many artists from so many different genres. Artists like Cat Stevens and Maynard James Kennan, to Janis Joplin and Mary J. Blige. And though I haven't listened to her too extensively, the albums and songs I have heard are never disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment