Wednesday, June 27, 2012

SOD: Anders Osborne "Louisiana Gold"

I saw Anders last thursday at Brooklyn Bowl. There's nothing like seeing this guy live. He's reinvented the power trio. Seriously. The show is intense. It's fun, and it's lively. Like Dylan, his live shows display different takes on songs, than the album versions. Who wants to hear what they can throw on the ipod any old time? Anders is much more raw, powerful, and driving than he is on his usually laid back albums. Neither is better, both are amazing.

But Black Eye Galaxy is different. This new album is his most produced and cleanest yet, but it doesn't lose that natural Anders style and sound. In fact, they got some very gritty and distorted sounds from Anders on this album. Songs like "Black Tar" and "Send Me A Friend," immediately catapult to the top of Anders true harder Rock tunes. They'll get you in a mood, let me tell you. I found myself walking home from work yesterday with a little kick in my step, daring the world to fuck with me.

But then songs like this one and "Tracking My Roots"(Live in Cambridge, MA) which is my favorite so far, are what seal the deal for me. His ability to seamlessly transfer between the heartfelt, straight up, honest song, and the fire-breathing rock jams, gives him a very powerful grasp over your emotions. That's a big part of why the live concerts can be so powerful. If he is ever "in town," you need to go, and if you can honestly tell me you did not have a great time, I'll buy you a round.

2 comments:

  1. Anders Osborne is the real deal. New Orleans finest musician will not be hidden from the world for much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree more. As long as he retains that raw, live energy and soulful honesty.

    ReplyDelete