Thursday, March 22, 2012

A Year Of Songs


Way back when I worked for The Weinstein Company (formerly Miramax before Harvey and Bob left that name with Disney), I started a tradition with a couple of peers, which I have since carried over here. It was called SOD, or "Song Of the Day." Myself, Dave, and Kevin proclaimed ourselves kings of the airwaves, and on a daily basis duked it out for the right to be called "Jam-master." Each day, we'd pick a topic (i.e. "songs about women" or "songs with food in the title," or "songs with saxophone solos" etc.) and we'd rummage through our respective libraries for the best song we could find that would fit the criteria. By 4pm each afternoon, we'd email our choices to a select group of about 8 "Judges." These judges were other people within the company whom had varying ideologies and musical tastes. Each would pick the song they liked best, and we'd keep a running tally day by day, week by week, and month by month of who won the most votes. This went on for a couple years. It was a glorious time when music was being shared constantly, and the 3 of us had attained a musical god-like status by default, because we were opening up peoples eyes and ears to new music. Everyone was hearing music they had never heard of before, and horizons were expanding endlessly on the musical front. It was a  proverbial renaissance. Music was flourishing. 

But as with all great things, it eventually came to an end, and no matter how hard we tried, we could not reignite the old flame that once was. It was nobody's fault really. I left TWC to begin my career at IFC Films, Dave began working on his own projects and eventually moved to Colorado to pursue a new career, and Kevin (last name Schneider)...well Kevin (aka Schneeblepuss) kept doing whatever it is a Schnobgoblin does (nicknames were also a big "thing" with us). And though this reincarnation of SOD  isn't much like the original at all, it's spirit still resides in the realm of musical knowledge and categorical framework. It is in this vein that I was thinking of bringing categories back into play.

So without further ado, I give you a years worth of songs, month by month, within the title. A brief note: This was a hell of a lot harder than I anticipated. There just aren't that many great songs, with month's in their titles.


JANUARY - David Gray "January Rain" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bilXFudh_is

The beginning of the year, and here in NYC it usually means its "cooler than a polar bears toenails" (see Outkast "ATLiens). Granted there are a few decent songs with "January" in the title like "January Wedding" (The Avett Brothers), "January" (Elton John), and "January Hymn" (The Decemberists), but believe you me, there are a lot of bad ones too (The first that comes to mind is "January Friend" by the Goo Goo Dolls - and don't ask why I've heard that song, I'm quite ashamed to admit it).  On the whole, it's a pretty sparse month in the world of song titles.

Now I'm not really a David Gray fan, but this instrumental has a very soothing quality to it, and I do rather enjoy it when the mood is right. It emits a state of calm and natrual tranquility. I guess I'm just a sucker for that kind of thing. 
  

FEBRUARY - George Winston "February Sea" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eI6-L38EPo

Another winter month, and it too is somewhat sparse. I think if the choice were left up to the Mad Mulcahy, he'd go with "February Stars" (Foo Fighters). I'm sure I'll hear it from him if I'm wrong. That song is off The Colour and Shape(1997) album, which I definitely owned back in my early teen years when Dave Grohl was immensely popular. "Everlong" was a definite favorite of mine off that album. Lou Reed's "Xmas in February" was an interesting song, done in that spoken word style Reed was a fan of. The lyrics to that one were quite dark and at times heavy handed, being based around Vietnam, but it was a solid jam for sure. Again the Goo Goo Dolls ruined this month in music with the extraordinarily cheesy and contrived "Two Days in February" (I can feel my credibility slipping simply for having known that.).

However, I decided to go with another instrumental by a contemporary, classical pianist who's music I grew up on. My mother, Bundell Williams (she goes by her street name these days), was an AVID listener of George Winston and thus, I've heard an incredible amount of his stuff. I've seen him play live a handful of times as well (he plays sans shoes), and he has a very distinct style that I've come to very much enjoy. Most of his songs follow the same pattern and progression from beginning to end, but they build in intensity. It's pretty amazing to me how repetitive yet un-tedious his songs can be. I remember listening to him most during college, while trying to get through the drudgery that is psychology textbooks. Hope you enjoy as much as Bundell and I do.


MARCH - Iron Maiden "The Ides Of March" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CN1_mSYIXg

Well finally we've emerged from the winter, and into the spring. And what better way to do that than with some Iron Maiden. Granted it's a short instrumental (What's up with the instrumentals? I don't know!), but it hits hard. And its fuckin' raw, and just plain old fun to get nuts to. Plus, "Winds of March" (Journey) is just a little too much fluff. That's never gonna make my cut no matter how few the choices are.


APRIL - Sublime "April 29, 1992 (Miami)" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh5ogOH82Aw

Well there's no lack of titles for this one. Right off the bat I thought of "April in Paris" which has been done by everyone from Frank Sinatra, to Billie Holliday, to Charlie Parker. But my favorite version is unquestionably done by Thelonius Monk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5REnEdYpWM&feature=fvsr&noredirect=1 ). Of course there's the ballad "April" by Deep Purple and for those of you Simon & G-funkle fans, "April She Will Come," was definitely a nice easy listening song of theirs.

For me though, Sublime's "April 29, 1992 (Miami)" would have to be the choice. It's not that it was an overly awe-inspiring song about the Los Angeles Riots and Rodney King beating. I actually didn't much care about either of those things when it came out. But I definitely have a lot of fond memories of partying to this song. And music is always linked to memories for me, so Sublime pretty much won by default. 


MAY - Rod Stewart "Maggie May" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F01aLeErvoU

This is a tough one. Many songs have "May" in the title, but not used in the context of the month. So I was left with a dilemma. Do I leave the category wide open, with all instances of the word being acceptable? Or do I really box it in and make it strictly month related. The Bee Gee's had "First Of May," but I truly hate that song. Blue Oyster Cult had "Then Came the Last Days of May," which is actually a pretty decent tune, but just doesn't do it for me. So I compromised and justified it in my mind. "Maggie May" is a great Rod Stewart tune, and one of his first (if not first?) hits. And maybe the "May" that follows Maggie is a reference to spring and love etc. Maybe it's not. Nonetheless, I'm sticking by my choice because this tune is a real piece of work. Just like Rod.


JUNE - Mudcrutch "June Apple" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65dsQmx-HIU  (live)

Well there's always "June In January" by Dean Martin? Granny undoubtedly used to listen to that one. And Dean Martin was definitely a cool cat, but that song is just not going to make this list. Another one that won't make the list is "June Is Busting Out All Over." Horrible title for a song. You show-tune freaks are just gonna have to keep waiting to get your due. I'm pretty confident again, that the Mad Mulcahy would have chosen "Seven Days in Sunny June"(Jamiroquai), and I do like Jamiroquai, but just not that particular song. So that didn't leave me with much to work with, but I think this choice is solid enough to fit. Mudcrutch is best known as Tom Petty's project before Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and they have a few solid tunes. In 2008 they got back together for a tour, and recorded a live album too, which was pretty cool. I'll admit, this one isn't exactly the pinnacle of their work, but it's fun and light, and I just may listen to it with beer in hand, come June this year. Johnny Vla, get that banjo ready. 


JULY - Gordon Lightfoot "Black Day In July" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPXL3iEVnCM    AND  Bruce Springsteen "4th of July Asbury Park (Sandy)" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flwAMQax57Q&feature=fvst

Oh Gordon Lightfoot. Probably best known for "If You Could Read My Mind" and "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald," but his works do go beyond that. My personal favorite is "Steel Rail Blues" off of his first album, Lightfoot! (I don't know that he necessarily needed the exclamation point). However, "Black Day In July" is no slouch itself. I have always liked this song, and I think it covers a pertinent enough topic of the time (the Detroit Riots). 

But how could I not choose Springsteen for this month of my birth? This was the first tune that popped into my head for the month, and it just felt wrong not to use it. But then I listened to "Black Day In July" again, and damnit, I liked that one too. So I figured one tie in there wouldn't hurt...right?


AUGUST - Van Morrison "Cold Wind In August" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAxeGcGIV7A

Joan Baez sang a version of "The 33rd of August." But I strongly dislike it. And I don't particularly like David Alan Coe's version or Waylon Jennings.' So I think it's safe to say, that song will not be the "August" choice. Nor will "Stuck In The August Rain," by Jethro Tull. Don't even get me started on their later albums. So pretty much by default I went with Van Morrison. I mean, I love damn near everything this guy does, and this songs no exception. 


SEPTEMBER - Earth, Wind & Fire "September" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQf9dtrc26A

Yea, there were a few songs with September in the title, but this was a no-brainer.


OCTOBER - Broken Bells "October" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAyZRszhqa0

I don't much like Amy Winehouse's "October Song," though I really do respect most of what shes done. And the U2 instrumental "October," doesn't do it for me. The Broken Bells (James Mercer of THE SHINS and Danger Mouse) had a damn good eponymous debut. "The High Road" and "The Ghost Inside," were both hits in my book. And their song "October," is nicely crafted. It's not quite comparable to anything directly, but you can feel a lot of different styles incorporated in this track. I especially like the keys. 

A shout out to the most famous folk artist nobody knows, Jackson C. Frank. His song "October," almost took the prize, but I figured I was pushing it with 3 folkish songs in 4 months. But seriously, Jackson C. Frank is NOT to be overlooked. One of my all time favorite songs is credited to him, though it's been covered by many ("Blues Run The Game"). This song may be the most sad, yet beautiful piece of music I've ever heard - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgY4GnLGsLQ


NOVEMBER - Guns N' Roses "November Rain" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0McfH-hweQ

Come on now. It'd be hard to choose anything else, though there's a slew of good runner-ups like Sandy Denny's "Late November" and Mad Season's "November Hotel." I even have a soft spot for "Gone Til' November" by Wyclef Jean. 


DECEMBER - Counting Crows "A Long December" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D5PtyrewSs&ob=av2e

When I was a kid, I must've listened to "December" by Collective Soul over a thousand times. "Don't scream about, don't think aloud. Turn your head now baby just spit me out."  And the Counting Crows had a pretty big hit with "A Long December," and I did always like that song, depressing as it could be. So that one takes the cake to round out the year. 


I think it's fair to assume that people will disagree with me in varying degrees. That's fine. If you think you have a better playlist under these constraints, feel free to let me know. Perhaps I will stand (or sit) corrected.                                                                                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment