Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Five Guys vs. In-N-Out

This debate has been going on for a while. I've had both burgers more than a handful of times, and being that I'm in L.A. this week, I decided to hit up In-N-Out. I mean, how could I come to L.A. and not?

It all started because Kim, Venice, Johnny, and myself, were all going to a friends place for dinner. But it was one of those early-side dinners when you don't know if you should have lunch, or if the dinner is early enough to cover both. In the process of deciding the fat kid in me said, "well what if we just grabbed a single burger from In N Out?," to which Kim replied, "Oh, I've never had that." Well that settled it. Time to de-virginize Kimbo. And in the back of my mind I was saying to myself, "well why not see one more time what the New York fast food scene is missing?"



Here's the thing. People have been comparing these two burgers and chains for a while now. But to me, I don't think it matters which burger you think is better. In addition to it being purely a matter of taste, there is one major factor that makes these two burgers incomparable. Price! Five Guys is nearly 3x more. This fact alone should make comparisons moot for the most part. You wouldn't compare a Prius to a Porsche in a head to head competition, would you? And granted, we're not talking about thousands of dollars difference here, but in the grand scheme of things, there has to be a difference between a $2 and a $6 burger. 

So obviously, I have a quipe with comparing these burgers at all, but if you must know which I prefer, then overall I'd have to say the Five Guys burger wins. A brief explanation why:

The In N Out burger is a nicely packaged deal. Though the facilities themselves leave much to be desired (but what fast food joint doesn't), the speedy and usually friendly service helps get you "in 'n out" nice and quickly. After all, we're not there for the conversation. The uncomfortably perfect shaped patty, fits flawlessly between the two halves of a generic yet fresh bun. The lettuce and tomato, also quite fresh, are a nice addition and complement the cheeseburger quite well. The beef itself is not the best, but at the same time, it's leagues above that of a Big Mac or Whopper. There's defnite flavor there, and it's been my experience that they even attempt to cook the burger to a nice medium temperature, as there's always a little pink, no matter how faint. I'll also tell you, the fries are quite delicious.

So yea, the In N Out burger ain't too shabby. And for $2 - $3, you can't really beat it. But the Five Guys burger is on a different level altogether in my opinion. Now, I'm no foodie, but I believe the Five Guys burger comes from a very quality proprietary blend. Watching them make the patties and then proceed to cook them all before my very eyes, goes a long way with me. Something about monitoring the full life of my burger, just makes it taste better. It's not neat and cornered like the In N Out burger, its messy and real, and in the world of burgers that's a beautiful thing. Quite simply, it looks homemade.

There's also a plethora of toppings to choose from at Five Guys, like onions (both sauteed and raw), bacon, and mushrooms, and the fluffy, sesame coated buns more than hold your cow and fixings. The establishment itself doesn't feel as "fast-food," and nor does the clientele. And the place serves you free peanuts that you can crack and toss on the floor while you wait. I know that does nothing for our friend Johnny, but selfishly, I must say I rather enjoy it.

I know this doesn't get us any closer to the answer, or a winner, but I'm not convinced that there really is one. They both fill a certain niche in the burger world, and I don't think they need to compete. Can't they just exist in this giant world of beef together, without fear of being judged or compared?

No comments:

Post a Comment