Monday, March 12, 2012

March Madness (no, not hoops)

I know there's a lot of people out there who live for the NCAA's much hyped March Madness. Heck, I always fill out a bracket. I never do well. But for the music lovers of the world, New York City holds a different kind of March Madness. It's a time when worlds collide, and guest acts are in abundance.

It all begins with the modest yet electrifying soul-jazz-funk fusion group Soulive, at Brooklyn Bowl. Don't you dare roll your eyes. I know there's a lot of genre-hybrid bands these days, but those are just words that I regrettably have to use to convey some semblance of the style. These guys will get you grooving no matter what kind of shit you're used to putting in your ears. The group consists of Eric Krasno (guitar), Alan Evans (drums), and Neal Evans (Organ, Clavinet, and Bass Keys - yes Bass Keys, its awesome). The butter on that bread is they always have an outrageous horn section with them, and since their an instrumental group, you can count on some additional people to show up and sing (i.e. Nigel Hall). This year they took up their third annual residency (aptly named "Bowlive III"), and believe me when I tell you, this was where its at. At a modest $19.50 a show, they play two long weekends (2/28 - 3/3 and 3/6 - 3/10) and the list of guests that come in to play with them is impressive. The show I hit on Friday was made all the more special by the appearance of the opinionated George Porter Jr., bassist and singer of the original funk group The Meters (now The Funky Meters). And as novel as that was, I would by lying if I said that was all I needed. I've seen George before on a couple of occasions, so in truth, I was hoping for someone else...

For the last 20+ years there's been a tradition at the Beacon Theater, my favorite venue. The Allman Brothers Band comes in, and teaches people what blues and rock are really about. It's the most informative classroom I've ever sat in. It's as real as Rock n Roll can get, especially in this electronic age. Yes, it's not the original ABB obviously, Dickey Betts is estranged and Duane Allmans death is approaching antique status. But that's not what's important, and it does not lessen the strength or impact of this lineup. In my opinion, if you see one blues guitarist, go see Derek Trucks. I won't even try to explain it because it cannot be explained. And you can hear him on disc, and his albums are sensational. But if you want to see the truth, and feel the almighty power of a god, you fucking go to the Allman Brothers Band concert, and you don't sit down in your chair. Between Trucks and Warren Haynes (of Gov't Mule), the wailing of the slide guitars will literally send you into a hallucinatory state. 

And its amazing how much these guys love what they do. You'll catch Derek Trucks glancing side-stage coming out of a solo with a slight, but boyish grin. He's looking for some form of musical approval from his wife, Susan Tedeschi, with whom he plays with in The Tedeschi Trucks Band (They won a Grammy this year). And his uncle, ButchTrucks, a founding member of the band who is still drumming away each show. I have to believe that you don't play at that age cause you have to, there's got to be a part of you that still wants to. Though the guitars have taken over, and are by far the overpowering force of the band, Gregg Allman can still be seen plugging away on the organ, treating each day as a gift. He's a fighter. I don't know many people who could battle Hep-C their whole lives, get a liver transplant, and still go on the road, much less at 64. Though I don't see a lot of emotion in that face, and I don't feel the all the power that used to be there, his voice still has that magical tone, and he's said that he's fine with letting the young guys take over now. It's their time. 

But, as usual, I've strayed from my original intention, and have not been brief as promised. Give me a break, I'm working on it. You see, the true madness of march, is that even after the ABB show ends around 11:45pm, there is more music to be had. Derek Trucks is not done! Warren Haynes does not get into his 'jammies and whistle Little Martha to sleep. NO! Because the heavens have aligned, and players love to play! On a fateful night, they may just pack up their gear, ride over the river, and storm into Brooklyn Bowl to join the BOWLIVE list of guest appearances! Do you understand the magnitude of this move? I think not. What this means, is that if you are one of the fortunate Bowlivers, who attended on a night when Derek Trucks, or Warren Haynes, or Otiel Burbridge(Bass) felt like letting loose and having a "big boys only jam session," then you paid $19.50 to see something that is virtually priceless, and undeniably exclusive. And it only happens once a year, in March. Madness. See below:

This is goddamn beautiful (thank you Matt). For you lazy fuckers, Derek Trucks Solo at 4:24, but don't sell yourself short.

No comments:

Post a Comment