Tuesday, March 27, 2012

SOD: Ray Charles "Busted"

Ray Charles has so many of these kinds of tunes. They're recognizable, enjoyable, never too lengthy. They get in, they get you moving, and we're on to the next one. Would it surprise you to know he didn't write this one though?

I hadn't heard Busted in probably years, until my buddy (and Music Guru) Matt, sent me a John Scofield instrumental rendition of this tune (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pVQyt0bCzo). Scofield really does the song justice, and his guitar work is some of the best I've heard. After all, he is the mentor of Eric Krasno (of Lettuce and Soulive fame), and you can't have been any teacher off the street to train that guy.

But even though the song wasn't originally done by Ray, in my opinion his version is the truth. It's got that life to it, that only Ray could give. It's in his voice, it's in his presence, and it's in his style of play. And nobody else has it like he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment