Wednesday, March 21, 2012

SOD: Steve Earle "Tennessee Blues"


I met Steve Earle once. He was sitting on the stoop outside his apartment, which happened to be next to the apartment building that a friend of mine lived in. I knew who he was instantly as I've loved his music for quite some time, and of course I saw him in his role as recovering drug addict "Walon," in the HBO series The Wire. I am no gawker, and if and when I meet "celebrities", I almost always keep my distance. But I couldn't this time. He's a lesser known figure in the industry than say, Bruce Springsteen, and so I somehow convinced myself that he'd actually like being approached by me. I subtly approached him with my head down. He saw me coming. When I was mere feet from him, I lifted my head and tried to pretend it was coincidence that I looked up at that exact moment. He smiled. 

"You're Steve Earle, aren't you?" 

"That'd be me," he said, head cockeyed, eyes blinking.

"Listen man, I dont ever do this, but I gotta tell you, you're an inspiration. You're music is the truth." There was a brief pause. He looked at me as if deciding whether I was full of shit or not, and then he said,

"Well have a seat man! Thanks a lot."

You never saw a guy go from standing to seated as fast as me that day. And the guy was gracious, he shot the shit with me for my 5 minutes of heaven. He's honest, he's likable, and he's direct. It was one of the standout moments of my life to meet a guy like that, who I had so much respect for. And to leave the conversation with more respect for him, is amazing. Usually you build your heroes up in your mind to be greater than they can ever be in life. But not Steve. 

Quite simply, Steve Earle is the man. He's true to the music. This is a guy who plays because he loves to play, and nothing more. Yes he's got bills to pay like any other guy, and no, he is not the kind of act that can sell out Madison Square Garden. And thank god for that. His music has an incredible reality sewn into it. What you see, is what you get. What you hear, is exactly what you see. Watching this guy live, is like watching the beginning of something. His performances usually start out with him and his guitar (or mandolin, or bouzoukis). Combined with his country twanged voice, he gives a soulful, from-the-dirt performance. The epitome of a folk man and his poetry. And his lyrics are truly something to behold. They're just the right amount of metaphor, description, and plain-speak. Later on in his show, he may invite some people up like his wife, singer-songwriter Allison Moorer, or even his son from his first marriage who also releases music, Justin Townes Earle (middle name given after the amazing Townes Van Zandt). But for me, the man and his guitar is always more than enough.

Earlier on, Steve Earle was much more steeped in the rock n' roll and country scenes. He hasn't stopped playing that altogether, but he's certainly gotten softer as time has went on. He was nominated this year for Best Folk Album, and during a performance I saw him give just before the grammy's, he said something to the degree of, "they got it right this time." This was a reference to him being nominated as a folk artist, as I believe that's how he see's himself these days. And even though he released his first studio album in his 30's (Guitar Town), he's been releasing rather consistently ever since. He has quite a repertoire now. Copperhead Road has become a classic (Both the album and song), but its the quiet, melodic folk tunes that always get me. The man has a oneway street to my heart. He's an idol to me, and I am very thankful I was able to sit with him that one fine day. 

This song, Tennessee Blues, is one of the most sad and beautiful songs I've ever heard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment