Tuesday, May 22, 2012

SOD: Steely Dan "My Old School"

Im so glad video's like this exist. Though it's not quite resemblant of the experience I have at the Beacon Theater, it's still relatable. The crowd is so funny. Some of these people look like parodies of themselves. Don't get me wrong, if you caught me on video at a concert at the wrong time, I'd probably have to say the same thing about myself. Frequently at Steely at the Beacon, I'm the only one out of my seat moving to the tunes, deflecting jeers from the uptight crowd. But, as luck would have it, i'm not on video here. It's some other guy dancing like a squeed, totally hitting on some lady.

The Piano opening rips it. When they kick into that familiar lick, you know it's party time. It's a great song, full of past experiences and innuendo's. It's certainly become a fan favorite, but still hasn't lost it's likability. I've been a Steely fan for a long time. In highschool, I was very much into Aja and Can't Buy A Thrill. "Kings," was the song that took my fandom to the next level. And then I really listened to the Royal Scam, and it was over. At that point, I needed to hear every piece of music they ever made. There was no going back. My father hated Steely, as did my best friend. So my time to listen to them was limited. Once out of college though, I found a new companion to share the dream that is The Dan, and soon enough, there was a pack of us completely tipping the speakers in their favor.

I pissed a lot of people off in those years. I also think a few of them have come around. My father actually went to a show. Was impressed by Jon Herington. Said they were much better live. He never could get over Fagan's voice, and that's a preference, I understand. Let's just agree that there are some people who are too cool for Steely Dan. It's a little too Yacht Rock, and they're a bit too tough. I try and chip away, show off some new tunes here and there, but you gotta call a spade a spade.

Donald Fagen and Walter Becker are a funny pair. How can two people be a rock group? They're not the stripped down, bang around, White Stripes / Black Keys type. They make some busy music. And thus, they employed dozens of session musicians per album. And toured with some amazing lineups. Guitarist, Jeff "Skunk" Baxter had a big influence on their sound through the early albums, but Fagen and Becker are the tried and true heart and soul of the band. They're one of the greatest songwriting duo's of all time. No question.

Like the music or not, it's a kick in the ass to see these guys still doing it, and doing it well. This video is from 2003, and it sounds a lot like the show I saw last year. The same main pieces were in place. That horn section man, they spit fire. I can never forget that little run at 4:11, it's one of the most memorable "quotes" in my music book. And we mustn't forget the backup singers. Mike called dibs on  the middle one years ago, so I never even stood a chance. Then he found out she was with the trumpet player, and he stopped liking the horn section. I'm just kidding, but in truth, he was disappointed.

And please put your hands together for Jon Herington. Oh can that man play. He's a session musician by trade, but the best touring guitarist Steely Dan could have picked up. He brings them to the next level. His ability to perfectly recreate all Steely Dan solo's, and give them his own appropriate touches when necessary, makes him the absolute best possible candidate for the position. Granted, he looks like an english teacher, but we can't all be Slash. I can always appreciate the unassuming. He's not super-emotional when he plays, but that's fine by me as well. Zones you in on the music that much more. And he is as smooth and cumulative a player as you can find. There's always a strategy to his solos, where the next one either builds on the last, or gets a little more intricate. You'd have to expect him to devise some kind of plan, because they end some of their songs with a serious barrage of back and forth solo's.

Steely Dan is one of a kind. The Band, the music, the individuals. They're sound, unmistakably produced. They're iconic at this point, and seeing them play live is proof that some artists can still do it well past their 60's. Hey look at Jagger on Saturday night live. Where's that skinny, little twig get the energy? Fagen and Becker don't move like that, but they still bring the thunder with their music, and their arrangements. And they surround themselves with the right musicians to perserve and enhance their original sound and style. If you can see them live, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment