Monday, May 14, 2012

SOD: Little Richard "I Don't Know What You've Got, But It's Got Me"

What a gem. Raise your hand if you haven't listened to enough Little Richard. This is a gut-wrenching tune, beautifully painful, in all it's howling glory. Just listen to that voice! And being that Jimi Hendrix was his guitar player (early in Hendrix career), it's plausible to think he may be playing on this recording, thought the records are shoddy. However, Hendrix did once say that he wanted to do with his guitar, what Richard did with his voice, so there's obviously a huge influence in Little Richard There. I feel like I've overlooked an entire catalog here. I bet this song (and album, Little Richard is Back) would sound great on vinyl...

I'd try to give you some background on Little Richard, but I don't really know much. I know he was a driving force in the beginning of Rock N' Roll, and that he's influenced countless artists, but beyond that I can't really say I've listened or learned enough. He is in the Rock N' Roll Hall of fame, if that even means anything to anyone. I could regurgitate his Wikipedia page for you, perhaps paraphrase certain parts, but why?  Instead, I'll just say it's songs (and albums) like this one that make me want to listen to much more of the Rock n Roll Little Richard going forward.

Thanks again to Matty for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment