Tuesday, September 18, 2012

SOD: Paul Simon "Kodachrome"

The video is a bit much, but the song is great. For some reason, listening to it makes me feel youthful. Not that I'm so old (please, bite your tongues), but this song makes me feel like a kid again.

The song was released on the 1973 album There Goes Rhymin' Simon, which largely escaped my attention (besides this song). When I tried to go back and listen to it recently, I don't think I was in the right mindset. Then again, given what I've been listening to lately, an overproduced soulful Paul Simon album might not really get its fair due on my speakers right now. Though I will say "Take Me to the Mardis Gras" was quite enjoyable, I didn't really get much further than that. Shame on me. Sorry Paul.

Nonetheless, Kodachrome has gotten it's fair share of play time. Garvey is a big fan of this Kodak based song, and there's a good chance that if you catch him screwing around with your ipod in the corner, he's looking for this track. The Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section (based out of Muscle Shoals, Alabama) not only have the coolest name ever, but they lent their talents to this tune. Also known as The Swampers, these guys have played on more than 75 gold or platinum hits. That's a pretty big number, eh?

One final thought. I did make it through "Tenderness" (the second song on the album), before stopping after the third song (the aforementioned "Take Me to the Mardis Gras"). I was pleased to read in the liner notes that Cornell Dupree played guitar on that track. Cornell is of course, one of the founding members of STUFF, one of the best and funkiest bands of all time. Though I know I'm speaking in a lot of wild hyperbole today, don't hold it against me. I'm just in that kind of mood...

No comments:

Post a Comment