Thursday, September 13, 2012

SOD: Al Green "Take Me To The River"

Yea, I've got fishing on the brain. Having returned from a deep sea Tuna expedition with a ton of fish (literally over 2000 pounds of fish), what do you expect? There were some interesting encounters, comical moments, and plenty fish to go round. And any excuse to listen to Al Green is a good one in my book.

Though I'll be ridiculed, I definitely like this version better than the Talking Heads take and after all, this is the original. The Memphis Horns lent their talents on this track, and frankly, they may be the garnish that sells the dish. Without those horns, the song loses a lot of its depth and punch. So thanks boys.

An interesting tidbit I found about this song, is that a writer for The Independent purposes that the song  is a face-off between Al Greens religious leanings, and his more "earthly interest." However, it's noted that when Al became a pastor of the Full Gospel Tabernacle Church (who comes up with these names) in '76, the song was no longer played. Kind of a shame if you ask me. I completely could've seen a church choir version of this song rocking the floorboards of the old Full Gospel Tabernacle.

No comments:

Post a Comment