Wednesday, September 26, 2012

SOD: Lake Street Dive "I Want You Back"

Lets forget for a moment, the sheer power and beauty of Rachael Price's voice. Talent aside, this is why music is the most beautiful thing in the world. That 4 people can get together in a driveway, anywhere, and just make a song that sounds as good as this. It's an amazing thing, and I'm a big fan of the impromptu jam session.

Now lets not forget for more than a moment, how talented these musicians are. Rachael Price has one of the best voices I've heard in a while. She can channel a rich, seductive tone, or call to arms a  powerful and charged vocal assault. There's also an old school sound to her phrasing and delivery, she certainly took a page out of Etta James and Billie Holiday's books, that's for sure. And frankly that's to be expected, after all she did study Jazz at the New England Conservatory in Massachusetts.

Now I'm not going to pretend I know who these guys are, I just happened to stumble upon them. I've already listened to their six song album "Fun Machine" (5 of which are covers), and you know what...it's kind of fun. In addition to this great cover, there's a nice version of the Hall and Oates classic "Rich Girl," and a really groovy version of "This Magic Moment." They also cover George Michael's little amuse bouche, "Faith", but I'm not as sold on that version. Give it a listen, see what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment