Thursday, July 5, 2012

SOD: Wye Oak "Fish"

I love this video. It takes a lot for me to love a music video these days, most seem very cliche, or try too hard to be something bigger than the song ever is. A lot of times I find myself thinking, let the music do the talking. I'd rather just create my own "video" in my head when I hear a tune. But every so often I'm reminded of why a music video can enhance a song. Like this one.

It all starts with the style. Shadow puppetry is not something I'm familiar with, and apparently this was a very labor intensive shoot (First Watch: Wye Oak, "Fish"). It's fascinating to see all the parts that went into creating it, and I think the outcome is something to be very proud of. The ethereal quality of it somehow works perfectly in making a literal point of the song. 

Wye Oak is not just the state tree of Maryland, it's a musical duo comprised of Andy Stack and Jenn Wasner who have figured out a way to make a wildly grand sound with only two bodies. It has elements of folk, yet at times it grows into something much heavier and eruptive than that. It's hard to put a label on them, which in my opinion, means they're doing something right. Jenn Wasner takes on guitar and vocal duties, while Andy Stack plays drums and keyboards using his hands and feet. He has a calm, intuitive collectedness about him. He keeps all his parts to the background, providing a landscape for Wasner to paint her heart on. She has an incredible voice and the perfect amount of guitar to go with it. The exploration of their album Civilian, can be something of a catharsis. 

They're a far cry from Jack and Meg White, and it goes to show you what a range of sound two people can put together. These Baltimore natives have tapped into something, and I only hope it does not go mainstream. I'd like them to preserve this sound and style for as long as possible before someone with dollar signs in their eyes gets wind of it. Then again, these two don't seem to be the type to buy into that anyway. Hey, a boy can hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment