Thursday, July 19, 2012

SOD: Joe Cocker "Space Captain"

I grew up listening to Joe Cocker. I also grew up watching the Wonder Years for its six year stint on ABC. Anyone who knows the show knows that Cocker's version of "With A Little Help From My Friends" was the opening theme song. Cocker 's voice is a gravelly, gin-soaked, growl, and if he weren't so melodic and on pitch, he might sound more similar to the drunken regular who spews obscenities into the air, sitting at the end of your local bar every night, than a world class frontman. But alas, Joe Cocker is a gifted vocalist with a wild and explosive stage presence. You can't take your eyes or ears off him.

Space Captain is my favorite Joe Cocker tune. I hate to pick just one but if forced to, my answer is definite. Everything is perfect about this song. The stripped down verses that let Leon Russell's playful keys chime in and out, are the perfect precursor to the heavy, drenching, descending riff over the iconic lyrics, "until we die, until we die," leading right into the funkier breakdown, "We're just learning to live together (horns!), learning to live together (horns!), learning to live together, until we die." Another note about this, the live version on Mad Dogs and Englishmen is absolutely better than the studio version. It's definitely worth keeping in mind, or comparing for yourself.

A final note: A couple weeks ago I attended one of the infamous Tuesday Night Jam sessions at Greens Irish Pub in Manhasset. The Greens Family Band hosts these open mic nights every tuesday, and if your ever in the area, I would highly recommend coming down. Hell, I'll even buy you a shot, you won't be disappointed (by the music or the shot). And on this occasion I actually got up and played a few tunes with the boys, and one of them was in fact "Space Captain." Well, let me tell you, it was one of the biggest highlights of my brief musical career. Playing one of my all-time favorite songs, with one of my all-time favorite groups, The Greens Family Band never disappoints. It was truly an amazing experience, and I've got to thank those guys for giving me the shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment