Friday, July 13, 2012

SOD: Tedeschi, Trucks, Haynes "Comin Home"

I went out drinking last night at the Rose Bar. That place is way to sheik for me and thus, overpriced. But it's not where, its with whom, and the company was definitely good. Then Kimi woke me up around 7am this morning, and proceeded to talk to me about anything and everything under the sun for the next two hours. We were both still a little buzzed and besides the headache, it was funny. When I finally got to the office, I was starting to feel a little sluggish. The nights toll was to be paid, but alas the first youtube video that popped up on the screen was this one. I played it twice, and it got me going, so it seemed appropriate to post for SOD.

I don't have to reiterate how tight this group of musicians is (Tedeschi/Trucks, Allman Bros., etc.), but I will. It really never gets old for me, I can listen to them for days on end and still want more. And tell me Susan Tedeschi doesn't rock your world. Obviously she's got the voice, but to see her shred that guitar and even solo with the big dogs just gets me all honed up (as the man Mulcahy would say). For her to stand up there with such presence among quite possibly the greatest guitar duo today, and command such respect from them and the rest of the musicians she's worked with, is nothing short of awesome. She's one hell of a lady.

This cover can't be found on any of their albums, but this is a really good audio quality performance. If you want to hear a stellar version, go to the original on the Delaney and Bonnie album, D&B Together. It was written by Bonnie and Eric Clapton when he played with Delaney and Bonnie, and another amazing version can be heard on the live box-set On Tour with Eric Clapton. I'd love to sit here and get into the influence that Delaney Bramlett had on the music we love, as there is absolutely nobody less known who had more of an impact on all the artists that we've come to cherish, than Delaney Bramlett. But there just isn't time. For those of you who don't know him, he only convinced and taught Eric Clapton to sing the blues, taught George Harrison to play slide guitar (and basically wrote "My Sweet Lord"), and what other front man can say he had Duane Allman, Eric Clapton, and Jimi Hendrix play in his group at one point? Forget the countless other musicians who either got their start or honed their chops in his band like oh say, Billy Preston, Dave Mason, Carl Radle, Jim Gordon, Red Rhodes, Jaimoe, Bobby Whitlock, Bobby Keys, King Curtis, Jim Price, Chuck Rainey, Rita Coolidge, Tina Turner, Leon Russell etc. And I genuinely mean the etcetera, because the list absolutely goes on. Props to Matty for drilling at least those aforementioned names into my head as I'm impressed I could remember that much without going to the books. Seriously, look him up.

No comments:

Post a Comment