Wednesday, July 18, 2012

SOD: The Low Anthem "The Horizon Is A Beltway"

Shades of Tom Waits. That's what I thought when I first heard this song. And the album Oh My God, Charlie Darwin (2008), is a very well put together effort that has a distinctive sound, flow, and quality to it from beginning to end. It did come out a number of years ago at this point, but it's still very relevant to the indie/alternative scene, as music like this is being made and released almost constantly.

But The Low Anthem has the "X-factor" in my eyes. The thing that separates them from everyone else doing the same thing. That's the most essential thing a band can have these days, assuming that talent is already expected. But it's not even the most talented musicians who are making the best music today. In many instances, it's the ones who have that X factor, because that allows them to standout. Whether it's impeccable songwriting, captivating lyrics, chilling authenticity, or a number of other things. I find that in The Low Anthem, especially this album.

The group hails from Rhode Island, but that doesn't really factor into the sound. Come to think of it, I don't know what Rhode Island "sounds like." What I do know is that this groups sound is a rustic blend of Americana, blues, and folk, and a nice departure from a lot of the other stuff out there today. There most recent effort, Smart Flesh (2011) is also worth checking out, but I still insist that they captured something truly authentic in the aforementioned Oh My God, Charlie Darwin.

No comments:

Post a Comment