Wednesday, April 11, 2012

SOD: Hall and Oates "Out of Touch"

You may ask "why?"

I say, "why not?"

Sometimes something a little light, a little cheesy, is just what you need. Everyone knows Hall and Oates, but how many people really know them. That's the realm I'm beginning to enter. I've started listening to some of their more obscure albums like, War Babies (Todd Rundgren played on it and produced it, but it's been tough to get through in one sitting), and Along the Red Ledge (even if it did go certified "Gold"). And at the recommendation of a friend, I revisited Abandoned Luncheonette yesterday and today (Johnny was dead right, "Everytime I Look At You" is a hell of a jam). For the shit that they take from some people who think they're just too "toothpaste commercial," I gotta say, I find myself liking more and more of their work, as I dive deeper. Did you know they have 18 albums! Granted, 2 are cover albums, but 16 albums of original stuff. Seriously.

I've also watched the Daryl Hall / Chromeo videos made in Hall's Garage Studio. The music is pretty groovy, but what a pair! And just take a gander at the ancillary musicians who attended this particular session. Where did they find this group? A "boys only" club in Santa Fe?! Odd, doesn't even half explain:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOE1-2Fza5Q

Nonetheless, you don't have to like them or even listen to them. Just knowing that the've made it this long and are still going (no matter how many plastic surgery's it's taken...yikes Daryl), is proof enough that there's something lasting to their music. After all, 11 of those albums mentioned above went Gold, Platinum, or 2x Platinum! I'd say that warrants a second chance for all you haters out there...

No comments:

Post a Comment