Wednesday, August 15, 2012

SOD: James Horner "Braveheart Soundtrack - Sons of Scotland"

A good soundtrack can make or break a movie. The greatest film composers like Hans Zimmer, John Williams, Ennio Morricone, Henry Mancini, and handful of others, have the audience eating out of the palm of their hand, sometimes without even knowing it. Their ability to cue up emotion is uncanny. Sometimes these composers are so good, you absolutely must own the score after you see the film, so you can play it at your leisure. And though this music isn't written, created, or used like your typical song that's played on the radio, or written for a girl, it's absolutely just as important.

I remember when I was young, my sisters favorite movie was "The Last of the Mohicans." Coincidentally, it was my fathers favorite soundtrack. When we would all drive upstate in the winter time, he would always pop the soundtrack in just as we'd enter the mountains, frozen streams on our left, and giant evergreens on our right. Those images set to that music will forever be seared in my mind. It's one of my most beautiful memories.

James Horner was always my favorite film composer. When I was twelve, I saw Braveheart. Besides the amazing battle sequences, the music was what I remembered most about the film. It absolutely blew me away, I had never heard anything so beautiful and complete. I honestly must have listened to that soundtrack everyday at some point, for the next two years. That sealed the deal for me, and from that point on I would actively seek out James Horner soundtracks, even if I hadn't seen the films themselves! He's honestly that good.

James Horner has scored well over 100 films. I've listened to over half these at this point. To this day Braveheart is still my favorite, but he's got so many to be proud of. I'll lay a few on you, just to make the point:

- Commando
- Willow
- Apollo 13
- Sneakers
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
- Legends of the Fall
- Aliens
- Glory
- Field of Dreams
- Clear and Present Danger
- Troy
- The Rocketeer
- Titanic
- The Devil's Own
- A Beautiful Mind
- Bicentennial Man
- The Perfect Storm
- Apocalypto
- Avatar
- The Amazing Spider-Man (which I believe is his most recent effort)

He also did two of my childhood favorites, The Land Before Time and An American Tale, both of which I've listened to recently and found that I still love.

Though Horner is my clear favorite, I think it is worth mentioning that Hans Zimmer gave him a run for his money (in my world), because of the Gladiator soundtrack, and Thomas Newman also was in contention as he has a stable of strong films as well. I've also piqued my own curiosity while writing this entry, because I'm genuinely curious about what other peoples favorite soundtracks are, and who their favorite film composers are. Could be the makings of a great conversation...

No comments:

Post a Comment