Wednesday, July 3, 2013

SOD: Vulfpeck "Rango"

Right away, I thought to myself Stuff. The band from the 70's. It's funky, it's instrumental, and though the color of their skin may not match, they're feeling similar grooves.

The beauty and bite to a lot of Vulfpeck songs is the space between. Tasteful playing will blow a noodler out of the water any day of the week. It's that space between the notes in Rango's guitar solos and rhodes licks that let it breath and keep it interesting. Many of their songs have a nice gradual grow to them. They don't take on too many different shapes, as it's a cumulative build based on the same progression. That's not to say it isn't complex. Best of all, they pass the "Bunny Test," which says, If you can dance to it, then that's half the battle won. Towards a good song that is. And you can definitely tap your toes to these guys.

They're all multi-instrumentalists, and you can tell they know what they're doing. They're all over the beat and definitely rehearsed, but you sense the experimentation in every track. It feels as if any one of the instruments can go off, take a solo, or change directions at any time, and the rest of the group would follow without missing a step. They have great chemistry, and best of all they're having fun. 

I want more. I was listening to these songs a while ago, I'd say almost a year. A buddy recently asked me If I had heard what Theo Katzman was up to, because he had discovered Vulfpeck for the first time. "I think they're my new favorite band" he said to me. We had both gone to high school with Theo, though he was a couple years younger than I. He was always into music, and a nice kid by all accounts. It always feels good (at least for me), when someone you knew from "back in the day" winds up making a name for themselves in the arts. I hope the ball keeps rolling for these guys, because in my humble opinion, they're worth the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment