Tuesday, July 2, 2013

SOD: John Grant "GMF"

First of all, Later... with Jools Holland is one of the most marvelous shows on television (Channel: Palladia). It's just pure music. Live performances by 5 or more artist each week who hail from a variety of musical persuasions. Just watch it, and get hooked. They're always playing reruns, and I've learned about a lot of present day artists I normally wouldn't have stumbled on. After all, there's so much out their to trip over these days, it helps when someone tries to focus a little of your attention in one direction.

John Grant is known mainly as one of the founding members and front-man of Denver Alt-rock band The Czars. Though I'm not a big fan of theirs, I'm also admittedly not familiar with their entire body of work. However, I was skimming local concerts yesterday and John Grant was playing in the area and I truly considered running over to buy a last minute ticket. But alas, an HBO Documentary on public defenders got the best of me, and I was glued to the tube. But that documentary itself is worth a whole separate post.

John Grant has a great voice. Sometimes that's all it takes. I find that his lyrics are odd, and his cadence even stranger. But after listening to his songs repeatedly, it grows on you like a carpet moss. The more you listen, the more it makes sense, and the more comfortable it feels when you're walking with or to it. Listening to this song again today, certainly gives me a hint of regret for not having seen him live, but I'm hoping there may be another shot at it. Hey, he looks pretty good for someone who's HIV positive.

He has two solo albums since his group format ended, and this song happens to be off the most recent one, Pale Green Ghosts. There's really some interesting work done on the album. It was recorded in Iceland where he was living with a plethora of different musicians. The warm and full sound that is on this track lives on the album as well, and I thought they did a great job of replicating that sound live. There are definitely some more experimental and electronic numbers on the album as well, but they're all strung together by his deep, haunting, tone. I'd give it a listen, you'll probably figure out pretty quickly if it's not your thing.

And though he may not be the Greatest Mother Fucker I've ever met, he's certainly got me humming that line to myself with a smile on my face, and a swagger in my step.

No comments:

Post a Comment