Tuesday, November 27, 2012

SOD: The Wood Brothers "Angel Band"

I have consistently spoken very highly of these guys, and they're well deserving of the praise. I heard them open for the Tedeschi Trucks Band at the Beacon, and they were simply incredible. Though they are only a duo (guitar and bass with a percussionist at times), their sound is equally as good on stage, as it is through a nice sound system. There were points in their performance when they were able to get as musically grandiose as they wanted to, yet still retain their distinct stripped down feel. Musically, these guys are as good as it gets.

As good and authentic as the music is, it's matched by Oliver Wood's voice. It's so unique and identifiable. Though it's not warm, there is something so seasoned and experienced about it, that you almost feel like you're being told a story, passed down through the generations. The whole package is obviously what makes these brothers the real deal, but Oliver's vocals are standout in my opinion. He sings how I only wish I could.

"Angel Band" is a great example of the flavor these guys encompass. Old traditionals given a signature of their own is a trademark of theirs. I especially like this song, and their version of "Lil Liza Jane" is noteworthy as well. Their original songs also have an authenticity to them that could convince even the most trained ear that these songs were written ages ago. The two albums that hooked me for life with these guys were Ways Not To Lose and Loaded. I guarantee, you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment