Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Friends of the Junkyard: Concert Report

Enthusiasm is what it's all about. At risk of sounding like Robert DeNiro (who played Al Capone) in The Untouchables, I'll repeat myself: Enthusiasms.

Music makes me enthusiastic, I don't know what I'd do without it. Quite a few people I know share that enthusiasm, but a man or woman can be enthusiastic about almost anything. The point is, that they are in fact enthusiastic and live with enthusiasm. Likewise, it's always easy to spot someone who's heart is not in it. In the music world, that takes away from the experience. Music can't be forced, it has to be felt. You can tell when an artist is "mailing it in," as opposed to giving it everything they've got, and leaving it all up on stage. In fairness, we can't all be on at every moment, for every performance. Sometimes you're just not going to be 100%. The idea though, is that those instances are few and far between.

I'm always overjoyed when someone shares the same enthusiasm for something as me. Having a collaborator or even just another brain to pick and share similar interest with is what it's all about for me. Matty, Johnny, Nick, my family, Kimi, PK, Mike, Garvey (and on and on), these people are all collaborators in life for me. Part of the reason I started the Junkyard Farmer, was to create a forum for all of us to share and discuss our thoughts. Not just on music, though that was my personal focus. I encourage people to constantly send me anything they find interesting, and I've posted a lot of that stuff over the past few months. I even offered to post any essays or articles that one of my "collaborators" may write on a given topic. The more the merrier, I say.

So it is within this vein that I post the Junkyard's very first concert report from the 'other' coast, submitted by V & J.


Bob Dylan and his band & Mark Knopler
Santa Barbara Bowl, Monday October 22nd 2012 6:30pm

Sitting under the trees, bathed in the glow from the homes hovering above, we sat and listened to living legends of the music world.

Mark Knopler was instrumentally magical.  He teased us with licks from classic Dire Straits tunes, and exposed us to what I would call a type of  “Celtic Rock 'n' Roll.” The Knopf’s classic baritone voice was set to the backing of an Irish folk ensemble, including Irish pipes, violins, accordion, mandolin, double bass, and acoustic guitars. It was unlike anything we'd seen before. Genre of music aside, the musicianship was absolutely top tier.

Then came Bob Dylan, otherwise known as “B” (as one audience member kept yelling throughout the show). While his age (71 years young) is relevant to his performance abilities these days, B is still a musician who commands an incredible amount of respect when he's up there in the spotlight. He's simply a powerhouse at stimulating thought and emotion.  He made his way around the stage and onto the keys. He sang with that same throaty rasp that he's always been known for, performing eclectic renditions of "All Along the Watchtower," "Blowing in the Wind," "Like a Rolling Stone," and V's personal favorite, "Man in the Long Black Coat."  While each of these songs included new elements, their familiarity still shown through, maintaining their exceptional musical quality and uniqueness.  At times, B deviated from the bands tempo and sound, going on tangents and spontaneous explorations.  Such deviations appeared to be part of an overall plan or vision he was trying to achieve, which I believe he was successful in.  However, I found myself wondering at times, maybe we just like to think his planning is that meticulous...? It's a question I have to ask, even though in my heart I believe the answer is that he's as meticulous today as he always was.

Overall it was a tremendous show, not just because of who played, but because of the talent that is still very much existent in both frontmen and the amazing performers they've amassed around them. It's a show that both of us are glad we ponied up the money for, because missing it would have been a real disappointment,.

V & J 

No comments:

Post a Comment