Thursday, August 1, 2013

Friends of the Junkyard: Concert Report

This isn't exactly a "fresh" piece of meat here, but it's something worth posting all the same. Its a review from a Mumford & Sons concert a few of us attended at the Barclays center back in February. It seemed pertinent enough though because these guys never go away. Their songs are always playing, their name is always coming up.

I enjoy Mumford, I think Marcus has an incredible voice, and their first album, Sigh No More, was a behemoth. I appreciate the originality of their songs and instrumentation. I had never really heard anything like it when they first came out, and you couldn't help but get swept up in the grandiose swells of the songs and album as a whole. Their second album, Babel, didn't quite grasp me the same way, but perfectly following up something as special as their freshman effort would have been impossible.

The ladies love Mumford & Sons. It's just a fact. You want to see the inside of the apartment (or bedroom) of that girl you've been hitting on hard? Surprise her with tickets to Mumford, guaranteed in. So in a sense, men everywhere should really be thanking these guys, because the music is helping people get laid all around the globe (I have no statistical data to back this up). It's akin to what DMB was doing for my generation when we were in high school (I have statistical data to back this up).

Heavy petting aside though, these guys do make good music, and they put on a hell of a show. They look like they're enjoying themselves, and that is extremely important when you want your music to come across as genuine.

Thanks to the First Lady of the Junkyard Express, below is a small tale about a concert past, that clearly left a lasting impression. Even though she wrote it a while ago, I'm pretty sure she still feels the same way as she's going to see these guys again in Forest Hills, Queens at the end of the month. And who the heck would go there unless there was really something worth doing? ;)

Wednesday, February 6th: Mumford & Sons at the Barclays

Setlist

"Babel"
"I Will Wait"
"Winter Winds"
"Below My Feet"
"Hopeless Wanderer"
"Timshel"
"Little Lion Man"
"Lover of the Light"
"Thistle and Weeds"
"Ghosts That We Knew"
"Holland Road"
"For Those Below"
"Roll Away Your Stone"
"Whispers in the Dark"
"Dust Bowl Dance"
  • Encore 1
  • "Reminder"
  • "Sister"
  •  
  • Encore 2
  • "Lovers' Eyes"
  • "The Cave"



Mumford and Sons first album Sigh No More, has been a favorite of mine since its release. So when I heard they were going on tour and would actually be stopping in NYC, I went nuts. I immediately contacted my partner in crime for anything concert related, Chelsea, because not only is she a blast, but yes, she has an AMEX. This allows her to receive an early selection of tickets, which I hoped she would use for the two of us, The Junkyard Farmer, and concert all-star The Man Mulcahy. As usual, Chelsea did not disappoint! 

I did not know a lot about the new album Babel, but based off what I'd heard, I knew it had to be good. In the week leading up to the concert I made sure to listen to the album cover to cover, but I knew the true test would come from hearing the songs live.

The night began with the opening and title track "Babel." The stage lit up, the crowd went nuts.  Song after song, no one sat down. There was non-stop dancing, arms waving, beer flying, smoke blazing, and plenty of sing-a-longs. Needless to say, the crowd was in high gear. The band was feeling that energy too, moving with the music and feeding off the crowd. Winston Marshall, the banjo player, definitely has the weirdest moves, but you could tell they were all having a blast. 

Soon after, they played "Below My Feet," which definitely became one of my favorites from the show. Every time I hear it, I can't help but sing along:

Keep my eyes to serve, my hands to learn

I'm not sure what it means, most likely something religious but it doesn't matter. I enjoy the energy of it, as it builds and builds through the song, until finally everyone is belting out the chorus together! 

When "Little Lion Man" (a chart topper from their first album) was played, the audience started to stomp their feet with the beat, bringing as much energy out of the building as it could take. It was incredible to feel. Two songs later, they slowed it down with a heartfelt "Ghost That We Knew." Marcus was on the big screen above, with fans belting out the high notes and swaying side to side. It was the kind of song you want to sing with a friend or a loved one, the banjo being the standout for me:

Hold me still, bury my heart next to yours.
   
The show came to an end with a surprise A Cappella song to start the second encore. The band moved across the arena, climbing atop a small square stage on the opposite side of the floor. They kindly asked the audience to keep quiet (which took some time), and with one microphone hanging above them performed "Lovers Eyes." It was beautiful to hear them harmonize together, with only a single guitar slightly added in. This gave me the best look at the raw talent they have, and the fearlessness to do that kind of performance in front of such a large and energetic crowd.



The night ended with the boys back on the main stage doing as big version of "The Cave" as they possibly could. It was the right song to end a fantastic show. 

The concert was great, there's no doubt about that for me. But I was very surprised that Mumford & Sons would play at such a large venue, having more of an acoustic feel on their albums. There were times that the sound got a little lost, but nothings ever perfect when it's live, and that's why live shows are so much fun, and all so different. Plain and simple, they blew me away with their passion and talent.  I would 100% go see them again. 

So I'll end by saying Thanks to Mumford & Sons for an incredible night. It was music to my ears.

xx
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment